top of page

YouTube Discussions

Public·44 members
Valerie Laplante
Puppy Family
Channel Member

I’m a scientist and I can’t stay away from peer reviewed journals, so here’s something interesting that we can all benefit from knowing.

All purebred breeds suffer from a loss of genetic diversity because they have long been bred for specific visual traits. Furthermore, for CKCS, the breed was repopulated from few dogs after WWII, which may have already been related. On average, it was found that any 2 CKCS, that have no known family ties, are presently 40% related to each other. This means that it’s very likely that genes that code for disease are passed on. If a dog receives the same deleterious gene from both parents, it will be detrimental to that dog. Genetic mutations happen all the time and can restore genetic diversity, but it will take hundreds of years for CKCS, given the 40% average.

The references are on each graph.

For health, ideally a breed needs to be under the green line, however, below the red line is great. The red line is 25% for same ancestor.

In some countries, the breeding of CKCS is much higher than the average, England and Norway are examples. The breeding of CKCS has been outlawed or restricted on the grounds that it is unethical treatment to those animals.

Good news, breeding for temperament encourages genetic diversity! I know of two RBC puppies from different parents were tested for same ancestor and the results were amazing, far lower than the average. I will let those puppy parents divulge the %, if they want. I respect their privacy. Just know that RBC’s breeding is helping the entire breed!

Sue Katte
Lisa Crane
Amber Andrews

About

Welcome, families and channel members! Be advised content s...

Members

bottom of page